Peas In Our Pod

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

the BYU mountain

If you are in need of a really good lower body workout (and happen to be in or around Provo) you should hike the Y, or as Nezzie calls it "the BYU mountain." If you want a more intense workout then you can carry an additional 15 lbs on your back. If you are a crazy, die hard workout person, you can also carry a 35 lb. child in your arms for portions of the hike as well—although, that wasn't optional in our case. What I find to be the real mystery though is that I was more sore (for three days) than Dave, and all I carried were two Nalgene bottles of water plus snacks.
Upon starting our hike, and I mean RIGHT after we passed through the gate, Nezzie said rather emphatically, "I'm tired." Dave and I had a good laugh at her expense because little did she know what was ahead of us. We made a few stops along the way to drink our "hiking water" and eat food for energy. And our little three-year-old was quite a trooper and also admired by fellow hikers. One man even called her "iron girl."
Overall, it was fun and like I said, a REALLY good lower body workout. This will probably be our new Saturday workout because I am too lazy to do squats and lunges. Although for the most part, our future hikes will probably not include the girls.



Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!! sounds like ALOT of fun. I love the picture of the family on the top of the mountain!!! That's cool:)

Cindy

4/25/2007 6:43 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I always find that hike to be surprisingly difficult! Fabulous view, though! Love the pics!

4/25/2007 7:20 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

gwen looks so cute asleep in her backpack!

4/25/2007 7:52 AM  
Blogger courtneyb said...

I love how you took one for the team and carried the water and snacks! hahaha where is your BYU apparel?

4/25/2007 9:28 AM  
Blogger jane Cobber said...

We want to hike this when we are there this summer. Maybe Nezzie can be our guide!

4/25/2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger kristy wihongi said...

Love it! I too must do this, with all the time spent in provo, i can't believe it ever eluded me. And I wasn't ever anti-hike-the-Y either. My kids loved this hike last summer with their uncle jon. I am deffinitely in this summer, the more on the hike, the merrier...well, maybe. good idea for the list of reunion activity ideas. :)

4/25/2007 10:33 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

cindy - i should have gotten a second picture of us at the top. i should ALWAYS get a second picture when strangers are taking or pictures! and overall, it was a lot of fun when i remove the fussy three-year-old moments from my memory! :)

katrina - i was surprised with how steep it is coming back down, that's where the majority of my soreness came from.

brooke - it was cute and kind of sad, gwen fell asleep with her little mouth on that strap. it looked so uncomfortable to me! but no matter how much i adjusted, she kept going back to that spot.

courtney - someone had to keep us hydrated! :) and sadly, i don't own any byu apparel that fits AND looks good in public right now. but if we hike the Y every saturday as planned, then maybe i will in a few months! :)

kris & carol - DEFINITELY something we should do for the reunion.

4/25/2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

You are my idol! I only brave these type of things cause Chip loves it so much. Looks like fun though. Do your legs feel like rubber? :)

4/25/2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

We're in for hiking the Y.

Kris - does Taz want to do it? ;)

4/25/2007 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in as well, I guess that would be pretty lame if I'm the only one in the fam currently going to BYU and didn't support a Y hike. Call us Holl we'll go with you guys, unless its before like...12 pm hee hee. jk

4/26/2007 12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, why do you have your initials at the end of your comment? LOL

I'd love to do a hike...well, if we can do a hike. All these wonderful ideas for activities! We are in for what we can be in for - absolutely!

Holly I love those pictures!

4/26/2007 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home