Peas In Our Pod

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

happy birthday jon!

So yesterday was Jonny's 25th birthday and I had a bunch of great photos that I was going to scan for this post, but haven't quite found the time yet. I have a feeling that Jon will be okay with that.

Well, I remember when my Mom was pregnant with her seventh child (Jon) and she and my Dad decided that if they had a girl then my sister Heather and I would get a bunk bed, but if they had a boy then Joe & James would get the bunk bed. I was six and therefore sad when Joe & James got the bunk bed (especially because Heather always tried to push me into the crack between the bed and the wall to scare me, but that's a different story).

Fortunately, Jon has filled the bunk bed void with a lot of fun and great memories. A few classics spring to mind. For example there was the time that he tried to bleach his own hair, but having naturally black hair it turned a nice shade of orange. He wore a hat to school the next day, but that night he had a volleyball game where he wouldn't be allowed to cover his orange head. He quickly scrambled and found a box of black hair dye. Well, he fixed his hair, but he also dyed his head black. I can see those gymnasium lights reflecting off of his scalp as if it were yesterday.

Probably one of my favorite memories of Jon was when we went to Arizona with the Wihongis and Joe & Liz. We were there for a few different events, like nearly going deaf from a Blue Angel that buzzed about 20 feet over us, the Aloha festival and scorp hunting to name a few. We also went to a little open house of sorts at our brother-in-law's parent's house where someone had made a delicious fruit dip. Joe, Liz, Jon & I were standing around the food and chatting and as I reached for the last piece of fruit to dip in the yummy dip Jon went to intercept the apple slice from my hand and in the process he got overly excited and some saliva fell from his mouth directly into the fruit dip. Well, we all nearly wet ourselves but no one thought to do anything about the dip, until later when we saw someone else eating some.

Jon is such a fun guy to have around. He's always waiting in the shadows to jump out and scare you or try and start a snowball fight—just ask Ashley! He's a great uncle and the girls love it when he's around, which is more often now since he and Ashley are living downstairs from us! We're so glad that he married Ashley and that she is part of our family.

We love you "Jo nathan" and hope that you had a great birthday! And for the record, I am glad that Heather and I didn't get the bunk bed after all.

Oh, and here is one picture that I did manage to scan.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Happy Birthday Jon. I clearly remember the dip incident as well. That really was some good dip, no wonder Jon was salivating.

10/03/2007 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Holly, I am totally by myself in my office right now cracking up so hard i'm crying. 1) because the dip story is so funny, and Jon still occasionally spits when he talks/eats 2) Jon dying his hair purple and then trying to fix it. 3) Jo Nathan! I can't believe I missed that! and 4)The picture of Jon captures just who he is. I love it!

Thanks for such a great post and bringing Nezzie (our entertainment) to the party!!

10/03/2007 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, to clear a few things up...some saliva might have dropped out of my mouth because I was in the process of chewing an apple smothered in the heavenly dip. EVERYONE salivates when they eat apples. I like to think that it wasn't my saliva that dripped out but apple juice! Yeah that's it! Hahhahah good times. Thanks for the embarassing memory. I thought that it was in my past but hey! There it is again. jk Thanks for the post and surprise birthday party. I think it was my first in my life with family and friends jumping out like that.

10/03/2007 10:09 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Ashley - that is funny. And you can borrow (or rent) Inez for entertainment anytime.

Jon - "Everyone salivates when the eat apples"? By everyone you probably mean you and you. And I can round up a few more embarrassing memories anytime. That's what family is for, right? ;)

10/04/2007 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's there NOT to LOVE about my Jonny-Boy!!
I can't believe you are one quarter of a century old. We Won't talk about what quarter we are working our way toward.... heh heh

10/09/2007 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home