Peas In Our Pod

Monday, January 29, 2007

chocolate chip deliciousness II

A big shoutout to my big sistah Heather who gave us the original recipe—it's Mrs. Fields.

By popular demand (well, four people) here's the recipe:

2 C butter
1 1/2 C sugar
2 C brown sugar
3 eggs
2 T vanilla
6 C flour
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t baking soda
4 C chocolate chips

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

Now, my tips & techniques that, I believe, make them de-lish!

1. Use butter and only butter. No margarine, and no crisco. I feel very strongly about this. Also, you MUST let the butter soften on its own. NO MICROWAVING!! I think the microwave changes the butter somehow.
2. Stir all the ingredients by hand, with a wooden spoon. No taking short cuts by using a hand mixer! Once again, the fast mixing of the hand mixer changes the consistency of the dough. So build those arm muscles and stir by hand.
3. I often only make a half batch because this recipe yields a million cookies! It is a bit tricky to half three eggs, so I just use one whole egg, and one egg white.
4. In my opinion I think that using semi-sweet chips make these ultra yummy. I used to use one cup of milk chocolate and one cup of butterscotch, but I am on a semi-sweet kick right now. The great thing of course is that you can use whatever chip you like best. The Heath chocolate pieces are also very good.
5. When I take the cookies out of the oven after 10 minutes, they are still pretty soft, so I let them sit on the hot cookie sheet until they cool, so that they cook a little more, without getting overcooked in the oven.

So you may think that I'm neurotic when it comes to the cookies, but they are GOOD, if I do say so myself! Have fun and enjoy.

Sorry I'm being crazy cookie lady.

P.S. James & Melissa, I promise to make you guys a fresh batch the next time you are in town!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Kewish said...

they are little delights, last time you made them i ate some of the dough when noone was looking ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa

1/30/2007 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa, I think we need to plan our next trip immediately. I'm hungry.

1/30/2007 12:46 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

how 'bout you bring these to our superbowl party??? yum. i can't wait.

1/30/2007 8:36 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

i don't know if my chocolate chip cookies will stand up to your and aaron's standards. you guys make some yummy ones yourselves. but, okay i'll bring 'em. any excuse to make them! in fact i'll get started on them right away! :)

1/31/2007 12:43 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks Holly! And thanks for the tips, I will try these very soon and let you know how it goes.

1/31/2007 1:56 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

I just realized one more tip–if you refrigerate the dough, just let it get back to room temp before baking them. It somehow affects the way they bake if the dough is cold when it goes into the oven.

2/01/2007 12:36 AM  
Blogger Gingerlylizzy said...

I found you through Courtney (we were neighbors and friends), I am really enjoying your blog and just thought I would stop by and say hi... so HI!

2/03/2007 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home